What do I need to know about adoption law?
The authorities quite rightly make sure that rigorous checks are carried out when deciding if people are allowed to adopt children. After all, every child deserves responsible parents and a stable home.
Adoption is a very serious step – that’s partly because as soon as you adopt a child, they legally become a member of your family, and cease to be a member of their birth family.
Naturally, UK adoption agencies will help to guide you through the process, but you need to be aware of all the legal ramifications, especially if there is an international dimension to the adoption.
For example, in certain circumstances it is illegal for a couple living in the UK to try to adopt a child abroad, or to bring a child to the UK in order to adopt them here. Even when you are motivated only by kindness and compassion, the penalties can be quite serious.
So if you are considering adoption, even through a UK adoption agency run by your local council, it is wise to take legal advice from one of our specialist family lawyers before you start the process. Some of the adoption issues we can assist with include:
- Helping with domestic adoption, where a child has been placed with them by a local authority
- Assisting the legal entry of a child into England for the purposes of adoption
- Having adoption orders which were made abroad recognised in England
- Helping potential adopters to decide whether they’re entitled to adopt in England
- Providing opinions and options for British nationals who are living abroad and seeking to adopt in that country
You can talk to one of our friendly experts today by calling 020 8771 5000 or contact us online today and we will call you